As the largest city in Alabama, Birmingham is a great place to raise a family.
There are plenty of fun and educational things to do with kids in this historic southern city. Here are 5 of our favorites:
1. The Birmingham Zoo is a must-see for animal lovers of all ages. With over 700 animals representing over 190 species, the zoo is one of the most popular attractions in the city. Kids will love getting up close and personal with some of their favorite animals, and they’ll also learn about animal conservation and the importance of protecting endangered species.
2. The McWane Science Center is a great place to spend a rainy day. With hands-on exhibits on topics like physics, chemistry, and biology, kids will have a blast while learning about the world around them. The IMAX theater is also a hit with kids, who love watching educational documentaries on the big screen.
3. For something a little out of the ordinary, take the kids to see the Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark. These former steel-manufacturing furnaces offer a unique look at Birmingham’s industrial history. Guided tours are available, and kids will love exploring this piece of living history.
4. Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve is perfect for kids who love being outdoors. With 12 miles of hiking trails winding through forests and meadows, there’s plenty of opportunity to explore nature and spot wildlife. Be sure to bring your camera so you can snap some pictures of the beautiful scenery!
5. The Alabama Sports Hall of Fame is a must-visit for any sports fan. Kids will love seeing memorabilia from some of their favorite athletes, and they’ll also learn about the rich sports history of Birmingham and the state of Alabama.
What’s Birmingham Known For?
Birmingham is known for its industrial and manufacturing history, with the city once being a major steel producer. It’s also recognized for its cultural heritage, with numerous museums, galleries, and historic sites located in the area. The city is also well-known for its dining scene and vibrant nightlife. Last but not least, Birmingham has become known as a great place to raise a family due to its abundance of educational opportunities, entertainment venues, and outdoor activities.
Best Neighborhoods for Families in Birmingham AL
The most family-friendly neighborhoods in Birmingham are Southside, Crestwood, and Avondale. Southside is a great place for families with its abundance of parks and green spaces. Crestwood has plenty of charming shops and restaurants as well as great public schools. Avondale provides an ideal blend of urban convenience and historic buildings, making it popular among young families. Other notable suburbs include Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills. No matter which neighborhood you choose, you’ll find something special about each one that makes it perfect for raising a family.
Overall, Birmingham is a great city for families thanks to its many fun and educational attractions. The next time you’re looking for something to do with your kids, be sure to check out one (or all!) of these 5 great places in Birmingham!